PLEASE ENTER THE CORRECT INFORMATION INTO THE FOLLOWING FORM. IF YOU ARE NOT AUTHORIZED TO VIEW THE RESTRICTED MATERIAL.
DIRECT YOURSELF TO THE CONTACT TAB AND REQUEST PROPER CREDENTIALS.

Case Note 6 - Sly Like A Fox

Sonya woke up groggily. Her head felt like it had been stepped on by an elephant and beaten. As her vision cleared, she saw she was lying on the floor of observation 1209 looking up at the ceiling. The lightbulb above her flickered. She sat up so she could look around her and saw her folder with its many papers spread out around the floor, her syringe, and an empty chair. What she didn't see was Jeremy running down the hall toward the open panel that led right to where she was.

Jeremy could see the woman he figured must be named Sonya sitting on the floor looking dazed and confused, which was a comfort to him since he seemed to have been feeling that way since he first woke up in that metal chair. It was about time someone else felt that way.
Jeremy slowed down and walked the rest of the way to the panel.

"Sonya." he said. "Sonya, I have some questions for you."

Sonya looked up at the sound of her name being called and her confusion quickly became panic. She started to slide herself toward the syringe.
"I wouldn't do that if I were you. Didn't you already figure out that I don't like needles?" Jeremy was trying to sound as menacingly disturbed as possible. Maybe it would keep her off guard until he could think of what to do next.
"Do you think I'm going to let you stick me with that? Do you think I'm going to just change my mind from the last time?" he walked closer to Sonya, eyes steady, voice even toned. After being able to knock her over so easily, Jeremy concluded she had not been trained to get physical. Just stick and move.

"What do you want?" she asked.

"What do I want?" Jeremy chuckled. "What do you think I want?" His voice suddenly raised to a shout. "I want answers!"

Sonya flinched at this sudden change in demeanor. Jeremy saw this and decided to play on her fear. "Do you know what I am capable of? You read me the reports. You know what I can do!" he yelled.
"The reports?" Sonya asked. She had taken on a new calm tone. The fear she had shown in her eyes was no longer there. Jeremy wasn't sure if he had played his hand right. Hadn't the man at the desk told him these people had video and reports and case studies on who they brought here? He kept up his bravado and yelled, "That's right! I know what I used to be like and I won't let you people take control of me!"
Sonya stared at him curiously. "You do Mr. Colin? You remember your state of mind before you came to us?" She had taken on that clinical tone again. "You remember me?"
Jeremy glared at her. "Your name is Sonya. You work here. It's your job to make sure I get better." he said. He had brought his voice down and began to walk passed Sonya to the chair he was in before. He picked up the syringe on his way and then sat down. At this point, his back was to her and he could hear her get up from the floor.

"Mr. Colin," she began, "have you decided to come with me?"

Jeremy nodded. He decided it would be the perfect time to ask one of his questions.

"Tell me Sonya, how long have I been here?" he turned in his chair to look at her.

"Mr. Colin, you've been here for five weeks. We have been monitoring your progress after procedure DAC5 for the last three. You seemed to be doing well until this last session, but don't worry, we will be able to fix everything.” she answered. Sonya walked to him and put her hand out. “I would appreciate it if you returned the syringe to me, Mr Colin.”
“What? Oh. I don't know. You tried to hurt me with this. I don't know if I want to give it back.” Jeremy said. He tried to put on his most docile sounding voice. He started to see how this worked. If he played along, he might be able to get out of here after all. He remembered the look the man at the desk had, the vacant I-see-through-walls stare. He looked “through” Sonya.

“I don't like needles, “ said Jeremy, “ and I don't like being hurt.”

Sonya put her hand on his shoulder. “It's alright Mr. Colin. If I give you my word not to use it, will you give it back to me?” She had taken on the tone a kindergarten teacher might use with a sensitive student. Jeremy pretended to think about it. If he kept up this act, he might be able to get out of this room. He slowly stuck out his hand and opened it. “Okay.” he said.

Sonya took the syringe from his hand and promptly inserted it into his arm in one quick motion.

“What the hell!?” Jeremy yelled. “You said you wouldn't use it!” He sprang from his chair and tried to swing at her.

“If you recall, Mr. Colin I never actually said I wouldn't, and if there is ONE thing I have learned from you in your stay here, it's that you are sly, Mr. Colin. Sly like a fox.”

This was the last thing Jeremy heard her say as the room spun and then went dark.


© 2009 by Laira Reid